Saturday, London. Sunday, Paris.

Yes, an incredible two days. And it was a train ride that made it happen.



But let me start with Saturday morning, the day we left our darling Cotswold cottage and hit the road for London. My superstar husband-driver ended up logging over 1,100 miles on the rental car -- and not one mishap! No way could I EVER drive in England. I could barely be a passenger on those round-abouts and one-lane roads. And then handling London traffic?!?  He rocks!

We checked into our hotel in King's Cross ... and headed out for a day in London. When we realized we would have a day to spend in London, The Mister asked what I thought we should do, and I said I think we should pick ONE thing so we're not just running around, and I would like the one thing to be the National Gallery. We've been there before but it's been over 20 years. Earl said he couldn't top that idea so we took an Uber to the museum. It was a gorgeous, sunny day in London so we walked around a bit, enjoying the people on Piccadilly Circus and Trafalgar Square, before going to the National Gallery.

Of course I wanted to see paintings by my favorite, Vermeer, and the NG has two. I'm sure Vermeer would be disgruntled that I couldn't even take a straight photo of either.

 

We enjoyed a Seurat (below) we both like, Bathers at Asnieres ... (Kate, I'd love to hear you pronounce that) ...
... and so many other paintings. This museum is all paintings, by the way. No sculptures.

I have a new  painting (below) on my list of favorites. It's by a painter named Hammershoi, this one of his wife Ida in their home. He painted over 60 works just of the interior of his house in Copenhagen. Do you believe it?  Now I want to see the rest of them.

One of the joys of the National Gallery (besides free admission) is how strikingly beautiful the interiors are. Here's proof ...



After the gallery, we went to a store named Fortnum and Mason (below). When Queen Elizabeth wants to shop here, they close the store for her.





We went to dinner at a London pub (below) -- so many to choose from -- and called it a night.


IT'S SUNDAY!  Time to go to the London train station ...





... and board the Eurostar. 


It took 2.5 hours from London to Paris, including about 20 minutes in the Chunnel, the tunnel under the English Channel. I wasn't thrilled about doing the Chunnel passage and tried not to think about it. It helped that they started serving lunch as we went into the Chunnel. A coincidence? Who knows.

I really like train travel. I haven't done much of it, but I want to.

We arrived at the Paris Train Station. One of the train attendants (like flight attendees on a plane) stopped me in the station and told us she hopes we have a nice stay in Paris. I guess the French people might not be as bad as people keep telling me.

We took an Uber to our hotel. On the 30 minute ride through the city, I couldn't get enough of Paris! This is amazing. To everybody who has told me how gorgeous it is, you are right! Truly, I got a bit choked up just looking at it through the open car window. I'm here in Paris! We went over the bridge and there was Notre Dame! Are you kidding me!  Then into the Left Bank. Wow! It took me 67 years but I made it.

We checked into our hotel, a boutique hotel, a former Paris mansion, with only 30 rooms. There aren't traditional hotel hallways but little passages. You actually get your room key from the front desk every time you come back, and leave it with them when you leave. I love that.



I am not a fan of orange but fell in love with this little room. After all, how could I not love a room with a rolltop desk!




 
I found I could open the shutter-style windows!


Maybe I'll take the stairs in this hotel sometime instead of the tiny elevator that only holds two people, but maybe not since we're on the 4th floor.


We unpacked and headed out for our first meal. Of course we picked a restaurant where we could sit outside. We're such tourists!


It's supposed to be rainy all week in Paris. Oh, how I hope the weather people are wrong.


Thanks for reading my blog. I've been getting texts and emails from you about how you like the blog. That means a lot. Sharing our trip helps me feel connected to you!
Jane

Comments

  1. The Queen shops?! I just assumed that whatever she wanted, she'd tell someone, and they'd "make it so."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures, Jane. Your blog helps us feel connected to you too! It’s just great!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Feel free to post a comment!

Popular Posts