Even so-so days ... are memory-makers

Having to leave Lucerne made me not very happy. Those of you who have experienced Jane-not-very-happy know it's not pleasant. Then it was a rainy, cold day.



The Mister maneuvered his way out of the narrow roads of old town and soon we were on the road. But doggone, the rain reduced our views of glorious Switzerland by about 50 percent. I really tried to muster up that glass-half-full philosophy.


We drove through Liechtenstein (a new country for both of us!) and I asked The Mister to stop so we could take a selfie (below). His good-natured self said yes.


But because it was raining we only took one photo so I didn't get a bunch to choose from to show you the best one, like I usually do. Sigh.

And then there were TUNNELS. I'm not a fan of tunnels but as long as we quickly get out of them, I'm okay.


But there were over 30 tunnels between Lucerne and where we have stopped for the night in Austria!  One tunnel was 13 kilometers long -- it took us 12 minutes to get through it!

Then we entered Austria, where one set of my grandparents are from. It was so beautiful even in the drizzle.


But then we had to take this mountain road to get to the hotel for our one-night stay. Earl said he picked out a place in a small hamlet named Mosern. I really wasn't thinking about the hotel as we drove up this mountain with such a steep drop-off and absolutely no guard rail.

We arrived at the hotel (internet picture below) in the rain and it was adorable. If it had been up to me, I probably would have reserved a Holiday Inn but Earl said he wanted me to have something authentic and a view.


Our room has a little balcony so we could see the mountains. You know, even in the drizzle, it's quite a sight! And there were little goats on a hillside next to the hotel -- what a sweet sound as you're looking at mountains.



Our room is that Bavarian style that's so homey and hospitable ..





Oh, and get this! The Mister goes down to the Coke machine and comes back with a beer! Yep. You can also get beer or wine at the vending machine.


When we arrived, we had asked the front desk clerk what our meal choices were. He said we could walk up the road and go to a restaurant up there. There was ONE restaurant. The hotel's restaurant is only for people staying 4 nights or more. Okay, we asked for directions for the restaurant up the hill ... but then he said we could have the hotel's restaurant's 4-course meal for 20-Euros per person. What a nice guy! We said yes to that offer because we didn't want to walk in the rain. Did I mention it's about 50-degrees outside?

What a surprise to arrive for our meal expecting not much and have four fabulous courses in a very pretty little hotel restaurant! (Below). It's not often you get candlelight, linens, and 8 pieces of silverware for a meal that costs around 24-dollars a person!



The appetizer buffet alone was worth the price, with everything from artichoke hearts to avocados - plus a full salad bar.



Joan Steele, I told Earl how much you would have enjoyed the barley soup and fresh baked bread.

Breakfast is included in our stay and we're excited already for tomorrow morning.

Earl said a few days ago how every day of The Grand Tour is an adventure. Today was the six-week mark of The Grand Tour and truly the first day that had negative elements to it -- and yet it turned out wonderful. I thought it was just a travel day to get from "here" to "there" but it gave me memories I will remember with a smile (as long as I forget the tunnels).

I have had quite a talk with myself tonight!

Thanks for reading my blog. BTW, we still can't figure out why you can't post comments -- but thanks to the people who occasionally email or text me to let me know they are enjoying it!

Jane


Comments

  1. As I read your latest report I almost thought I hear songs from the Sound Of Music. Did they offer Yodeling lessons, Alpen Horns and Lederhosen in the gift shop?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trying another comment. What a GREAT, bad day!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Feel free to post a comment!

Popular Posts