I may yodel

Can I start the report of yesterday with photos of the end of the wonderful day? I hear no objections so I'll move on.

Here we are arriving yesterday (below) for Day 1 of our two-week stay at our little part of an Alpine home.


Here is Earl bringing in one of the suitcases (below). I did help bring in bags, too! That's our little patio at the end of the walk  ...



And this is the photo I took as I was relaxing on our little porch after unpacking. Do you believe the view!


This is the start of the second "anchor" of our trip, where we stay in one place for an extended time. Whew! We will be here for two weeks, and will slow down our pace after traveling to London, Paris, Burgundy, and Lucerne since we left our Cotswold anchor.

We are located in the Alps in Germany, but are so close we can walk to the Austria border. As a matter of fact, we went to the grocery store in Austria last night and then drove back to Germany. We are less than 20 minutes from Salzburg, Austria, where we will be making frequent trips.

We found this place to stay through AirBNB and we were crossing our fingers we would like it. A totally different "way of life" for this part of our vacation.

The directions for getting here were to go to the town of Marktschellenberg ... find the church, and there's a small road (below) between the church and the bakery. Take that and drive "up up up until the road ends."




It was one lane, lots of curves, and steep. The owner told us it's a 15 minute walk so that gives you an idea of the length of the road. Earl did say that the second time he drove it that it was easier.

We love this place! I was worried about it but it's quite nice. I'll share some photos from their listing on AirBNB of the outside (below) ...

Our part of the house you reach from that light brown porch and steps. The patio and lounge chairs are ours also. When we're inside or on our porch, we don't even see the rest of the house.


Here's a view of the back of the house (below) ...

Here are photos (below) from their listing of the inside ...








One of the reasons The Mister wanted this place was because we have our own sauna (below). Of course he already used it last night -- and I have a feeling he will do it every day. That small Bavarian hotel we stayed at the other night? They had a sauna, too -- one for the whole place. Saunas seem to be a thing in this part of the world.




Yesterday -- other things

If you have a minute, I want to share some other adventures of yesterday.

1. My grandma's town
Johanna Schaffenrath Schreier, my dad's mom, was from the town of Telfs, Austria. We went there yesterday. I know nothing about her previous life -- nothing! Isn't that sad? She passed away when I was 5. But I figured she would have gone to the town's Catholic church (below), built in the 1100s, so I went there, just to connect with her in some way.  








There was a cemetery in the church yard, and there were Schreiers and Schaffenraths on headstones. I will show all of them to my sisters later, but here are a couple (below).


My Grandma named two of her children Carl (my dad) and Rose. Was she naming them after relatives? Why didn't somebody ask and write it down!

2. McDonalds
Can I seriously go from headstones to McDonalds? Again, I heard no objections so here I go. We  stopped at a McDonalds in that town, and I want to show you two things. First, not only is there beer on the menu (below) but there's also Red Bull.


Secondly, I ordered a cold chai (below) and not only did it come in a glass-glass with a china saucer but it came with a little piece of candy. Sometimes these things about travel crack me up.



3. Schloss Ambras

I learned "Schloss" is the German word for castle -- and I learned that all nouns are capitalized in German, all the time. We visited Schloss Ambras (below) in Innsbruck, Austria, yesterday. It was built by an archduke for his bride. Gotta love a guy who dotes on his wife -- and I do!












Our grandkids will be happy to know that Grandpa spotted a Naughty Helen (below) portrait. (There were three floors of artwork in the castle.)



WOW! This was a lonnnnng post. If you're still with me, thanks!

I started this post at the end of yesterday ... and I'll end it with "right now." Right now I just took a photo (below) of the laptop on our little table by the window so you can see my view as I've been writing to you. It's almost noon, temperature 63-degrees. We're listening to cowbells and church bells. No excursions for us today. We are staying put and enjoying this.




Comments

Popular Posts