Lucerne: 4 entries

ENTRY #1: The difference between me and The Mister.

Last night ... 

ME:  Oh, honey, look at the view from our terrace!  The towers along the horizon are lit at night! How gorgeous!


ME: (continued)  Honey? Honey? What are you doing with your phone?


EARL:   You know, I don't think that's a star over there. See that really bright one?  Wait ... let me check the app on my phone ...it's Venus!


ENTRY #2: A different kind of store.

There's a store in Lucerne called Rent a Box and I think it's kind of a neat concept and have never seen this in the United States. I want to show it to you. Apparently, you rent a box in the store window to try and sell your jewelry.






ENTRY #3: Our trip today.

We took a boat trip on Lake Lucerne  ... such gorgeous scenery!




Our destination was a town called Vitznau.


In Vitznau we caught a cogwheel train (below) to go up Mt. Rigi.


As we went up the mountain, the view got better and better ...


We got off at one stop to take in the scenery (below).




Then we got on another train to climb even higher (below).


By the time we got to the top of the mountain, it was raining but we still loved the view. We tried not to think about how great it would look with no rain (using "glass half full" technique). It was fun to be above clouds no matter what!


Earl had an idea! After lunch, we took the train back down just a bit of the mountain but got off to take a cable car down. I said sure, figuring I would close my eyes if I didn't like it. But it was fantastic. Below is first an internet view of the cable car ... and then some of my photos from inside. See the cows down below?





After departing the cable car, we found our way to Weggis (below) a town to catch the boat back to Lucerne.


ENTRY #4 Libby, it happened again.

In 1998 Earl and I and the kids were in Munich and got up one morning to take the U-Bahn into the heart of the city. Libby had sensibly dressed in long pants and took a sweatshirt ... while the other 3 of us wore shorts and t-shirts. Turned out it was cold in the city center! So Earl, Evan, and I went into a store and each bought a sweater or sweatshirt. Ever since, Libby has mentioned this episode occasionally and laments how her good judgment cheated her out of new clothing.

Well, my daughter, this morning, Mama didn't think it was going to be cold at the top of the Mt. Rigi so guess what I had to buy? Dad took this photo just for you.



Comments

  1. So great to reminisce through your blog. We were in Lucerne last summer. Pricey place but gorgeous.
    Enjoyed a gondola up to Pilates! Glad you got to boat on the lake!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Feel free to post a comment!

Popular Posts