Our little town ... Marktschellenberg

The road to our Alpine place starts in a little German town named Marktschellenberg. Yesterday and today, we explored the town a bit more.

Bottom line: it's pretty but there's not much there. But we did encounter a surprise that my grandchildren might like and I'll tell them about it at the end of this blog.

Let's start with the prettiness of Marktschellenberg -- photos below ...


 



 

I think my daughter Libby and my sister Melissa will especially like these straw people (below) sitting along the road in the middle of town.



That says "Welcome!" to me!

Like in so many small towns everywhere, the church is the heart of this town. This is St. Nicholas ...






 

A river named Berchtesgadener Ache (below) runs through this part of Bavaria and goes right through our little town. The river is light green -- like yesterday's lake. It's healthy and beautiful and happily flows along -- it's just different from what we're used to.

Earl needed to test it out (below) ... it was nice there were steps for him to get to the river.



Close to the center of town is a man-made waterfall (below). We assume they are trying to control something about the flow of the river but we don't know what.





One thing that Earl did find out by research is that this river flows into the Salzach river ... which flows into the Inn River ... which runs into the Danube ... which runs into the Black Sea. I love learning stuff like that.

My favorite part of the river is this little cafe where The Mister and I sat today and enjoyed a sparkling water beverage and a cookie, and roughly planned out the rest of our time in Bavaria.



Can you guess what the filling is in the cookie (above)?  I asked before we ordered it and when the server told me it was an almond cookie with poppy seed filling, I said yes! It was really tasty.

Besides this little cafe, there aren't any restaurants in town, or even any stores except a drug store and bakery. Marktschellenberg is mostly a quiet, residential town. As we walked around, Earl said they need some sort of "hook" to attract people to their town so it grows. I said maybe they like it just the way it is. Who knows!

 


Okay, here's the surprise (below), something we saw yesterday when we were walking in the outskirts of town.

GRAM:  Grandpa, I hear a cow bell.

GRANDPA:  No, Gram, that sound is not a cow bell. 


GRAM:  I think I know a cow bell when I hear one.

GRANDPA:  Look over here, Gram.

GRAM:  Oh my! It's a goat!

GRANDPA:  And the goat has a bell on.

GRAM:  You're right, Grandpa. I didn't know goats wore bells. Grandpa, do you think it's Grumpy Goat?  Remember that book that Cecilia really didn't like when she was about 2?

GRANDPA:  Hey, are you Grumpy Goat? I think I'd be grumpy if I had to wear a bell!



Gram and Grandpa walk on down the road for a while. When they come back, they see Grumpy Goat has moved!




GRANDPA:  Look, Gram! Grumpy Goat is on a rock!

GRAM:  I always heard that goats like to climb. I'm glad she has a place to climb.  Maybe she's not grumpy after all!

GRANDPA:  Yes, but she still has that bell on.

GRAM:  Good bye, Glorious Goat!  Maybe we'll see you again before we leave.



Thanks for reading my blog!

Jane





Comments

  1. I think I would be scared of the straw people!
    I love the green river! I haven't seen anything like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe the goat was wearing a cow bell

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Feel free to post a comment!

Popular Posts