Salzburg struts her stuff

I was in Salzburg with Earl and the kids in 1998 and we loved this splendid city so much that we made it part of our Grand Tour 2018.

But today as we arrived on the city bus, happily leaving our car behind in the Park and Ride lot (yay! we're finding these in many cities in Europe), I could tell something was "off" as we stepped off the bus in old town.


"So," the buildings whispered to me, "we hear you LOVE LOVE LOVE Lucerne. What about us?"

Gulp. They have a point. Before the Grand Tour, I always said Salzburg was my favorite smaller city in Europe. But now ... there's Lucerne.

I ignored their jealousy and decided to have a great day in this lovely Austrian town. And we did! Knowing we'll be coming to Salzburg many times during our two weeks in the area, for today we just strolled down Getreidegasse, Salzburg's famous shopping street. Sunny skies, 72 degree weather, hand in hand with my Mister until he needed both hands for my shopping bags -- what could be better!  








 




 


Here's a quiz for the grandkids and my great-nieces. We saw this saying (below) on t-shirts and mugs and the like. Why do you think the people of Austria are making this joke?


Salzburg is the birthplace of Mozart -- or as Earl and I call him "Motz" because that's what toddler Cecilia called him.

The yellow house (below) is his birthplace on Getreidegasse ... and his statue (also below) is at the other end of the street. Gotta love a guy with a pen in his hand!




We had lunch in a biergarten (below) ... 



We each had beer and potato soup (below). We think it's whipped cream on top. Tasted good!



But when it came to the main course (below), we went our separate ways. The Mister selected a pork something and I opted for a salad with yummy brown bread croutons. He loves German food and I don't.




Speaking of food -- eek!  This dish (below) was in the window of a seafood store we passed. We think it's little octopuses!  Does anybody know if that's true? Let me know.



Eeeeky dish notwithstanding, it was truly lovely day in Salzburg.





"Well? Well?" The lovely ladies wanted to know. "Are we still your favorite city -- or is it Lucerne?"

More research is needed, I told them. I'll be back soon.

When we got back to our Alpine home, I kicked off my shoes and put on Mozart's Jupiter and smiled thinking of how excited Cecilia has always gotten about this particular piece of music. "Wait for it!" I tell her as the music softens in IV but we knew the big crescendo was coming.



Today is her 6th birthday. Happy birthday, darling girl! I love you to Jupiter and back.

Thanks for reading my blog, everyone.
Jane



Comments

  1. I also don't share Earls fondness for Geman food.

    Is Black Forrest Ham German or Austrian ? If it's German then I like German food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the memories of our trip to Salzburg

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Feel free to post a comment!

Popular Posts