Sisi's place

Because I'm making this trip, I'm currently reading a book about Elisabeth of Bavaria, known by the nickname Sisi (pronounced Sissy).  She was Empress of Austria and Queen of Hungary through her marriage to Emperor Franz Joseph at the age of 16.


Sisi was the Princess Di of this world back then in terms of popularity. She loved beauty and clothing and this famous portrait shows her with diamond stars in her hair to match her dress.


I love trying to separate the fact from fiction about this probably anorexic woman who cared more about looks than anything. She was beautiful indeed but had a troubled life in many ways. Sisi had a domineering mother-in-law who pretty much took over Sisi's kids ... and a wonderful sweet husband who adored her while she was fairly indifferent to him. 

After age 50, she became "shy" and allowed no photographs to be taken of herself and threatened to wear a veil over her face. Shy? I think she had a problem with the effects of aging.

Why all this talk about Sisi? Well, I went over to her house today.
 

Actually, it was the Hofburg Imperial Palace, located in Vienna. I loved to see where Sisi lived, even though she greatly preferred being in Hungary (something not mentioned on the audio guide, that's for sure!).

No cameras are allowed in the rooms but that was okay since they were fairly unexceptional palace rooms. Below are a few internet photos ...




See what I mean? Red, gold, gold, white, red, gold, red, red. Repeat.

The one fun thing in the rooms was seeing Sisi's exercise equipment (below) -- the rings, ladder, bar -- something not very common in those days, and not liked by the palace people. But Sisi worked very hard to keep a 16-inch waist. She was 5'8" (very tall for that time) and weighed 110, sometimes getting down to 96 lbs.


The rooms were boring but I loved seeing Sisi's clothes (below) ...


... and hearing about her routine. It took her attendants two hours a day to style her ankle-length hair  --  and it took a full day to wash her hair.  This portrait below is the one her husband, the emperor, displayed in his study, which we visited.


Okay, one more Sisi painting (below) and I'm done. I really am enjoying reading the book about her!  Then I want to watch movies that have been made about her over the years.


When I say this town is Sisi's crazy, I mean it (below).


As we left the palace, I couldn't help stealing this good bowl.  After all, they have so much they won't miss it!  Hmmm, which one of YOU will get this bowl?


After the palace visit, The Mister and I did a Big Bus Tour which he liked more than I did.

Unlike the Big Bus Tour in Paris which drove you by all the big name attractions (Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, Louvre, etc.) this bus was more about modern Vienna. I think the streets are too narrow in the historic parts of town for the buses. We did get to see the Danube River.


After the "Big Bus Bust" as I'm now calling it, the rest of the day was spent strolling around, seeing some sights, and when we got tired of walking, we took a 40-minute carriage ride (our carriage and driver below).


Now you're talking! This ride was excellent. This small carriage went up and down cobblestone streets and we enjoyed seeing even more of historical Vienna.
















One thing the driver pointed out was although this is "off season" for Spanish Riding School of Vienna, the traditional riding school for Lipizzan horses, some of the horses were in a place we passed by and I got a glimpse of them.

After our carriage ride and I said goodbye to our own horses who pulled the carriage, The Mister and I walked back to these stables. and saw some Lipizzan horses from afar. 



I was thrilled!

A couple of beautiful store fronts I want to show you, places that make window shopping such a treat ...




And here (below) is a sight never ever seen by human eyes before!  It's a piece of dessert that Jane Schreier Jones actually left on her plate.


It was pineapple coconut cheesecake -- delicious -- but just too much to finish!


Thanks for reading my blog! It was a good Saturday and even better because I knew I could share it with you.

Jane







Comments

  1. Wonderful city - those Lipizzan are just beautiful & their training events were incredible. So glad you at least got to see the horses!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Feel free to post a comment!

Popular Posts