The Autobahn ... Bad Tölz ... and spaghetti ice cream.

Okay, I'm starting with the best first: spaghetti ice cream.



Yep! That, my friend, is from an an ice cream shop in Bad Tölz, Germany. The choice of delights was incredible and Earl said it was the biggest menu of ice-cream desserts he's ever seen, from ice cream with crepes to an ice cream mountain with all kinds of melon pieces stabbing into it.

We both selected "spaghetti" sundaes. I chose (below) pistachio ice cream strands swimming in Irish Creme Liquor, with bits of pistachio sprinkled on top.


The Mister chose his (below), a mound of whipped cream topped with chocolate ice cream strands, then topped with chocolate sauce and white chocolate crumbles.


If we had known the sundaes were so big, we would have split one. Honest! It killed me to leave so much of mine behind (but I ate enough to feel guilty for the next week).

Of course I had to ask them how they made the strands. Once we solved the language gap, they showed me a handheld device that kind of looked like a garlic press. Have you ever seen this done at an ice cream shop? What a simple and clever idea!

Bad Tölz is a wonderful Bavarian town, full of color and charm and nice people. The temperature was only 60-degrees today! Below are some of my favorite pics from our day. (Yep, that's a wool scarf I'm wearing.) 

 








 
 


 

Three things I learned today in Bad Tölz:

1. That burger doesn't mean hamburger. 
A burg is a small town -- like Miamisburg. So a burger is a citizen of a burg. Soooo a Burger Garten (below) is a beer garden for the people of the burg.



2. That "Gesundheit" doesn't mean "God bless you." 
I always thought it did. But when I asked Earl why the sign in the drug store was this (below) he says it means "health" as in "health aids" here in the store.


3. That The Mister has been pining for authentic potato soup, called Kartoffelsuppe.
I didn't know he was disappointed in the soup we got in Salzburg last week.  But we found the authentic soup he wanted and that along with a pretzel and a beer made a nice lunch.


What I didn't learn in Bad Tölz today:

What this fruit is (below). It was between blueberries and strawberries.




So it was a good day in Bad Tölz. I can't say getting there was half the fun because some parts of the Autobahn we were on had no speed limits. Happily, Earl is a sane driver ... and most others are, too.

As for me, I looked at the scenery along the way (below) ...



If you moved here, when do you stop being in awe of the Alps? Seriously. I can't stop being in awe.

Here's a photo (below) from the end of today, as we left Bad Tölz to head back to our village. I shake my head in wonder.



Thanks for reading my blog!
Jane

Comments

  1. I want some of the potato soup and Earl’s chocolate ice cream dessert!
    The pictures are just incredible, I certainly understand why you are in awe,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of you with the potato soup but it's cream-based. Wait till I make you a batch of Goulash soup! (I really mean you'll have to wait for it 😆.)

      Delete
  2. That potato soup doesn’t even look as good as the one Dad makes...but I’m glad he liked it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Feel free to post a comment!

Popular Posts