Thursday and Friday

I did not blog yesterday so grab a cup of coffee if you're game to tackle this  -- it will be a long one!

THURSDAY

Thursday morning, I stayed in the room to relax and get caught up on my journal. (Please note my beautiful new blue fountain pen. When your hotel is less than a block from a pen store, French law states you must buy a new pen. I read that in a guide book somewhere, as I patiently explained to Earl.)


The Mister said he wanted to try out the Metro, Paris' subway system. His journey? He rode and transferred just to get to a KFC, and sent me a photo.

Before you send him an email of praise for his mastery of a new city and transportation system, I'll let you know he thought he was ordering a 3-piece meal and got a 3-leg meal. But he loved it!

When we met up, we took off, to wander St. Germain and beyond, stopping for an outdoor lunch for me at Cafe de Flore, a popular hangout for writers in the past and still today. With my journaling, I thought I deserved it


Then we just meandered around, walking with no destination in mind, stopping wherever it looked interesting. These photos below give you an idea of our day ...







.




 






We found the place where e.e. cummings lived (below) ...





A candy store that displayed an over 90-pound chocolate Tutankhamen (below) ...

 

And a sign (below) that made me say, "Book Club better not see this without me!"


Three hours from when we started our walk, we rounded a corner and I said to Earl, "I do believe that's Notre Dame!"
 
Then we walked along the Seine from above (below) ...


 ... and walked closer down (below) ...


When we were too tired to take another step, we called an Uber.  BTW, complete sunset is really late around here this time of year. Below is a view from our window Thursday night at 9:52.






FRIDAY

Are you ready for one more day?  Today we visited the Musee d'Orsay art museum, which many say is a better experience than The Louvre. Earl the Savvy Metro Rider was my guide to getting there.



Not that long ago, when trains got longer, Paris converted a train station to an art museum! What a great idea. And that is the Musee d'Orsay, on the Left Bank of the Seine.

The Orsay opened in 1986 -- the year Evan was born -- and is already the 10th most visited museum in the world.

What a treat to just walk into the doors!


 


I knew from internet research and savvy friends that the 5th floor gets the most crowded because it's the Impressionists ... so we high-tailed it up there.

When we walked in the very first room on the 5th Floor, I said, "Oh, Cecilia!" with such longing. The room had 7 Renoirs right away, and there were more to come. Renoir is Cecilia's favorite artist! Christine, maybe you could tell me which of these Renoirs Cecilia likes best. (My oldest grandchild will tell you that Renoir was the son of a seamstress mother and a tailor father and Renoir's love of beautiful fabric shows!) 









We probably spent two hours on the 5th floor! The Orsay is known for Impressionists and they serve 'em up until you're breathless!




I've added a new item (below) to my list of favorite works of art. I had never seen this before and was quite captivated by The Floor Scrapers.




It is painted by Gustave Caillebotte. Isn't it magnificent! I hope you can see it well on your device. Earl and I thought we had never ever heard of this painter but when right now I looked up on the internet how to spell his name, I find that Rainy Day Paris Street (below) -- at the Chicago art museum -- is done by him. How limited are we about art! But there's always something new to learn -- and love.



The fifth floor of the Orsay offers other treats (below) because you're at the top of the old train station.










You could even step outside for some outstanding views (below) of Paris!












We truly did enjoy the rest of the museum but the Impressionists are the stars of the show.

Oh! You're not going to believe this. I had read in March that Whistler's Mother (below) owned by the Orsay, was out on loan. Not a favorite of mine, but if it's back, I'd like to see it.  We asked a guard/guide if it was here and, no, she said, it is out on loan. Wanna guess where?



If you guessed Abu Dhabi, you guessed right! Do you believe that, just like the daVinci I wanted to see at The Louvre. What are the chances!

I know this it the longest blog in the history of mankind, but one more thing for my grandkids. When Libby and I were at the Metropolitan Museum (NYC), I asked my grands to tell me which painting they liked best. Now I'm asking them: which one of these sculptures at the Orsay do you like the most?







Thanks for reading my blog! Next time come to Paris with me and we can take turns writing!


Jane







Comments

  1. The Caillbot is my favorite painting at the Chicago Art Institute. Be sure to take a boat ride on the Seine at night. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a couple of days! Not sure how you do it! I can ‘t wait to see which of the sculptures your grands like best!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Feel free to post a comment!

Popular Posts