Bye-bye, Bruges

It's been an incredible two weeks but now we have to bid farewell to beautiful Bruges. We spent the day exploring the last area we wanted to see: The Lake of Love. It turned out to be one of the prettiest areas of Bruges and sparsely visited.

The lake, fed by the canals, is beautiful, peaceful, and offers that respite that only being by water can give us.




When I spotted that restaurant (below) across the water, we decided to go there for a drink in the waters-edge cafe.



We easily made our way (below) to get there.


Inside the inn was beautiful (below) ...





But, like everybody else, we chose a table by the lake.




One of the temporary art installations was across the lake and we watched two bride-and-groom couples come and have their photos taken. (below) I think they were local people -- no film crew just a photographer.


We chatted with two couples at the table next to us -- a British couple and an Australian couple who used to live in the same neighborhood in London. I have found that British tourists are more friendly than British people in their own country. Wonder if that's true for every country? Those of us who like to travel tend to be more outgoing? Maybe so, maybe not.

Earl saw these creatures (below) on the lake and a local told him they are called water chickens. We had never seen them before. Earl looked it up later and thinks the official name is Gallinule. I'm going to call them water chickens.




We explored more areas around the Lake of Love ...











These red flowers (below) planted next to a canal that feeds the lake are Poppies of Peace.




I just can't get enough of these canals (below). Now, wait a minute! Did I just hear one of you say, "I can."


We ended up the day with an order of Belgian fries, the same treat we had on the day we arrived -- and a few days in between. Remember when I said Belgian fries are so good you didn't even need ketchup? Well, we decided to try "Dirty Fries" (below) and these fries had chicken and sauce and tomatoes and onions.



I had one taste .. and Earl enjoyed the rest.

Earl noticed that our forks (below) that we got with the fries had a serrated edge. Cool! I have heard of "sporks" which are combo fork and spoon ... but I have never seen a combo knife and fork.



So today was goodbye to dear Bruges. Tomorrow we are off for a few days in the Netherlands. I know I will be back someday to Bruges but I will always remember these two marvelous weeks.

Before I get teary-eyed, let me share a photo with you of a sign (below) that The Mister wanted to buy me.


"Trouble is, honey," I said, "that's not saying much."

Thanks for reading my blog!
Jane

Comments

  1. We have gallinules in Florida! I always thought they looked more like ducks than chickens...but now I will think of them as water chickens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what wonderful memories you have gathered.
    Been meaning to ask what sort of camera are you using. All excellent pictutes for subject, color, exposure and composition.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Feel free to post a comment!

Popular Posts