From art installations to lace-making: 5 topics for you

Wow. Remember how I told you Bruges is having a temporary art installation this summer called Triennale?  All these art installations are in or around the canals. Look at this one we discovered on one of our walks ...


It looks like a Shamu-type whale coming out of the water.  As you walk closer to it ... you see what it's made of:







Built from waste material fished out of the ocean, this creation really delivers an incredible environmental message without saying a word. The artist credit is "Studio CKA" in Brooklyn, New York.  Here are a few more photos ...




Earl and I are enjoying the other art installations (below) around Bruges, and they lead to many interesting discussions ...




Here is Earl inside one of the art pieces (below), a bridge ...





TOPIC 2:  McDonalds in Bruges

McDonalds is everywhere, of course, even in a medieval town. But I have been impressed by how inobstrusive McDonalds can be in these European locations.

We spotted this McDonalds (below) in Bruges today:


A sign inside McDonalds said the building is from 1527, a former guild hall of cobblers. See the boot carving (above), right above the second story windows?

McDonalds has a small entrance that takes you downstairs to place your order, then there are places to sit and eat upstairs. You can leave through the building main entrance and down the old steps.

In this town, restaurants post their menus outside but McDonalds' menu is that tiny little frame next to the main building of the door.

Now whether this preservation was McDonalds' idea or the city's, I don't know. But I like it.

TOPIC 3:  My €3 item

I bought this little cloth clothespin bag for 3-Euros (about $3.30) at a store today. Isn't it darling?




The Mister was waiting on a bench outside the store where I bought it. When I came outside, I eagerly showed my purchase to him.

ME: Look at this! Isn't it cute? Only 3-Euros.
EARL: What is it?
ME: A clothespin bag! Remember how I used clothespins that were in our house in England?
EARL: Yessss, but ...
ME:  Now I have a clothespin bag!
EARL:  But we have no clothespins in our lives. We have a washer and dryer.
ME:  Yes, but the bag's soooo cute. I had to have it.
EARL:  And I guess we will always have a washer and dryer. So I don't understand: what will you do with this?
ME:  Are you questioning my purchase?
EARL:  No, of course not. You can buy anything you want.
ME: But you asked what I'm going to do with it. That's a specific question -- so I say you are indeed questioning my purchase.

But by now we were both laughing. I assured him I would find a purpose for this cute bag.

TOPIC 4: Canal Boat Ride

It may be a law that every visitor has to take a canal boat ride in this town!


Blue skies, sunshine, and 73-degree weather -- this 35-minute boat ride was loads of fun and I can't wait to show you the photos (below):



















The Mister and I liked it so much, we want to do it again! (BTW, I mentioned laws a moment ago. We read that Belgium has a law against anyone wearing a mask except on Halloween -- and they enforce it!)

TOPIC 5: Numbers

Bruges has 20,000 residents.
They have 6 million visitors a year.
There are 63 chocolate shops.

And I was one happy woman when a Belgian shopkeeper today showed me how she makes lace (below).  We were discussing lace and she took me over to where she has her bobbins and pins under a table. It was an incredible opportunity - to watch her, talk to her, ask questions, and hear about the dying art of lace making.


Melissa, I took a video to show you and anyone else who wants to see it.


As wonderful as today was, we got word that a friend's 97-year old mother passed away. A dear woman, loved by all. May she rest in peace.

Thanks for reading my blog.
Jane


Comments

Popular Posts