"Home" for the next two weeks

We have arrived in Bruges, Belgium. ("Bruges" rhymes with the ladies' make-up "rouge"- no "s.") I like any place where you have to drive through towers to enter the city!


Years ago, The Mister and I watched an offbeat movie about two gangsters called In Bruges. The plot was okay -- but that TOWN!





We always said that when we go to Europe again, we would want to see Bruges, and we decided to make it one of the "anchors" for The Grand Tour.

On VRBO, we found a second-floor apartment near the city center and that's where we are.




We're delighted with the place, extra important when you've committed to two weeks. Any place with high ceilings and throw-open windows is half-way there in winning me over. Plus, in a second-floor alcove on the building across the street, is a statue of the Virgin Mary.


When we arrived yesterday, we got the luggage up to the room ... unpacked ... and walked about ten minutes to the grocery store, buying all the groceries we could carry back. Luckily I have back packs and shopping bags so we loaded ourselves up like pack mules. I didn't take a photo because we were hurrying back to get the cold stuff in the fridge as fast as we could.

But I did snap some photos in the store, of fun items (below) to show you (we did not buy these), starting with hot dogs in a can ...




Here are two items (below) I wish we had in the U.S. ...



On the cobblestone walk to the store, we cross a bridge over one of the canals ...


... and in this canal is a temporary art installation which is part of Triennale, a summer of art installations around Bruges. This particular art installation is a passage and platform that allows the residents to swim in this section of the canal (below), something that is usually not allowed.


So we'll hit the streets today and begin our exploration of Bruges. It might be a town you have never heard of -- and, just think, in the next two weeks you will have the chance to see hundreds of photos of it!

Really, I will try to keep the photos interesting, starting with this photo (below) I snapped on the walk to the grocery last night, a photo of a place I will not be visiting in Bruges.


A note for you sports fans ...

Out of the four teams in the World Cup semi-finals, we have visited three of them on The Grand Tour: England, France, and Belgium. I told The Mister if any country is serious about winning the next World Cup, they should give us an all-expenses-paid trip to their country.

When we first entered Belgium, I was impressed by how many people are flying the Belgium flag. That was before I realized Belgium is in the semi-finals. Nothing like sports to bring out patriotism. The semi-final games and the final game will be played while we're in Belgium, so I hope they win!



Thanks for reading my blog!

Jane

Comments

  1. I liked the movie more than you did! The town looks lovely in person, and so does your apartment! I love the grocery pictures - Mr. Propre! Chocolate pizza!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Feel free to post a comment!

Popular Posts